German Potato Salad
This is from the National Grange Bicentennial Book.
- 6 med. potatoes
- 2 hard cooked eggs, diced
- 4 slices bacon, cut into pieces
- ¼ cup minced onion
- 1 egg, beaten
- 4 TBL vinegar
- ¾ tsp salt
- Boil potatoes in jackets until tender. Drain, peel, and slice while still hot. Add diced eggs, toss carefully.
- Fry bacon and onion until golden brown, Strain to remove bacon and onion. Reserve bacon fat. Add onion and bacon to potatoes mixture. Pour bacon fat slowly into beaten egg, beating constantly. Beat in vinegar and salt.
- Pour over potato mixture; mix well. Place in large double boiler; heat through.
- Server hot on platter; garnish with lettuce.