This is the recipe I use from my "brown book". When I make a larger batch, I will mix up onion soup mix with sour cream (for onion soup mix) and use it in place of the sour cream. If you use onion soup mix, replace all or part of the bouillon with water to reduce the salt content.
Recipe type: Main
Serves: 6 - 8
- 2 lb sirloin streak or round steak
- flour, salt, pepper to coat meat
- ½ cup butter (NOT margarine)
- ½ cup chopped onion
- 1½ cups beef bouillon
- ½ cup dry red wine
- ½ lb sliced mushrooms
- ½ cup sour cream
- 2 TBL tomato paste
- 1 tsp Worcestershire sauce
- Slice steak into thin 2 inch strips; coat with floar, salt & pepper mixture. Brown meat and onions together in ⅓ cup butter. When brown, add boullion and wine, simmer 25 minutes.
- Sauté sliced mushrooms in 3 TBL butter.
- When meat is tender (about 30 - 35 min total), take off heat add mushrooms. Combine tomato paste, Worcestershire sauce, an sour cream. Add to meat gradually.
- Place back on stove and heat thoroughly but do not boil.
- Serve over wide egg noodles.