- 1¼ cups sugar
- ½ cup butter or margarine, softened
- 2 eggs
- 1½ cups mashed very ripe bananas (3 to 4 medium)
- ½ cup buttermilk or regular milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2½ cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup chopped nuts, if desired
- Move oven rack to low position so that tops of pans will be in center of oven. Heat oven to 350°F. Grease bottoms only of 2 loaf pans, 8½x4½x2½ inches, or 1 loaf pan, 9x5x3 inches.
- Mix sugar and butter in large bowl or pot. Stir in eggs until well blended. Add bananas, milk and vanilla. Beat until smooth. Stir in flour, baking soda and salt just until moistened. Stir in nuts.
- Pour into pans.
- Bake 8-inch loaves about 1 hour, 9-inch loaf about 1¼ hours, or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool 10 minutes.
- Loosen sides of loaves from pans; remove from pans and place top side up on wire rack. Cool completely, about 2 hours, before slicing. Wrap tightly and store at room temperature up to 4 days, or refrigerate up to 10 days.
- *I sometimes like to add a handful or two of chocolate chips. It's best to use
- ripe bananas because they have the most flavor. I also leave the banana bread in the pan after it cools and cover it with aluminum foil overnight. It seems to absorb more flavor this way.